ep·i·gram·ma [n]
1. Any witty, ingenious, or pointed saying tersely expressed.
2. A brief, interesting, memorable, and sometimes surprising or satirical statement.


Happy Birthday My Beloved Dad
Father (Fa-th-AR)
n.

c. A man who raises a child.

Robert V. Mathews
n.

a. Father
b. Husband
c. Son
d. Uncle
e. Cousin
f. Loved one

You are my family, my nakama, ma famille. You, with your dark hair and tired eyes, and your smile. Once, I begged you to 'have a mustache, Daddy!' Now I love the way you look, just as you are.

You come to wake me up in the mornings and I throw pillows, shriek, fake sleep. Underneath it all, I'm glad you're still coming even though I should just get an alarm clock, I should just wake up earlier, I should just go to bed earlier.

Sometimes you smile at me with this old smile, as if you're remembering something far away. Your own childhood, perhaps? There's a look in those eyes of yours that are brown with flecks of green and gold, one that makes me blush and fidget and beam because it says 'You're my daughter and I'm proud'.

Sometimes your shoulders stoop with the weight of our family. You bring in the cash, and I respect you for that. For not complaining. For not lashing out. For not getting mad at us. Instead, you fall asleep during the movies we watch. You take walks with us. You cook for us.

Little by little, you pass parts of yourself onto us. Lucky loves drawing, Putri enjoys organizing something, I love science. We cook together, play together, hang out together.

I don't mind. You're my dad, and you're a good dad too.

You hold my hand when I feel sick, listen but don't judge. Raspberry me when I wish wish wish you wouldn't, laugh at and with me because choosing one is too hard. You tell bad jokes and make worse puns, like to work with wood, take your stress away by cooking and sleep on the couch too much. Sometimes you're completely oblivious, other times you choose to look the other way and I appreciate that.


You, my dad, are more than just that. You are a friend.

And I love you, for the reasons above and more.

Robert V. Mathews
n.

a. 46
b. Male
c. My friend
d. My dad


Dad, you're turning 44 now. I hope you can be better than before. No matter what you do and what you say, you're still my beloved dad. Happy birthday dad. I love you.

Libellés : , ,

0 comment(s)
Post a comment


---------------- Older Posts -----------------